The museum was originally established in 1932 and from 1936 was sited in the High Street above the library. It moved to its present William Street site in 1997. The William Street premises is a Georgian building now in a Conservation Area, and William Street was the main shopping street until at least 1883.
It was run for years by the late local historian, Harold Gough, and is funded and administered by Canterbury City Council. The museum was a Canterbury City Council Mystery Shopper Awards 2009 silver award winner. The gallery hosts local art exhibitions, and there is a free events programme.
Friends of the Museum home page